The UK cancer e-Atlas provides a way to view cancer incidence, mortality and survival statistics for the UK, the UK constituencies and smaller localities. It provides the public, health care professionals, commissioners and health service managers with basic cancer information for the main types of cancer in males, females and persons.
The Cancer e-Atlas is an interactive tool which uses maps, charts and data tables to display the information for the area of the UK you are interested in at looking at. You can also download the statistics in an excel format.
For the first time, the Cancer e-Atlas is provided at UK level. You have the choice to view the statistics in two map formats:
The Cancer e-Atlas by cancer network displays cancer statistics for cancer networks (regional networks that support and promote the implementation of improvements in cancer care). The Cancer e-Atlas by NHS health boundaries e-Atlas provides statistics for NHS boundaries including Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) for England and NHS/Health Boards for Scotland and Northern Ireland. Both atlases provide national and UK constituency statistics.
Data Available on UK Cancer e-Atlas
The UK cancer e-Atlas has been jointly developed by the NCIN and the UK Association of Cancer Registries (UKACR). The cancer statistics are extracted from the UK Cancer Information Service (UKCIS) database, using the latest data available.
- Cancer incidence statistics based on patients diagnosed in 2006-2008
- Cancer mortality statistics based on people that died from cancer in 2007-2009
- Cancer survival estimates for patients diagnosed with cancer up to 2008
Using the Cancer e-Atlas
The Cancer e-Atlas guide provides an overview on how to use the Cancer e-Atlas and advice on using the statistics.
Quick step-by-step guide:
- Click on the UK map to choose locality of interest.
- To view UK, England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland data click on mini UK map. Alternatively a locality can be selected by name by clicking on the button called “Select localities” above the UK map. Clicking this will show a list of locality options. Select the locality of interest and then click the “Select localities” button again to hide the list. To compare up to 3 localities, hold down the 'Ctrl' key whilst you click on another locality.
- Select the cancer you are interested in by clicking on the cancer type name, highlighted in green on data table. A list of the cancer statistics for that cancer will appear in the data table. To expand and collapse the whole list of cancer types, click on the “-“ or “+” symbols (below the data table). Use the scroll bar on the right of the data table to see more data.
- To view the specific statistics of interest (e.g incidence, mortality or survival) click on the data in the data display area. The statistics will then also be displayed in the bar chart and an explanation of the data will be provided in the note area (“Information about the selected data item”).
Other useful Cancer e-Atlases
We are currently reviewing the UK Cancer e-Atlas tool, including its content and the processes for producing it. Until this is complete the UK Cancer e-Atlas above only provides the latest cancer statistics, it does not provide trends information. The links below are for older versions of the Cancer e-Atlas. These are for England only. These tools include trends data.
The UK cancer e-Atlas has been jointly developed by the National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN) and the UK Association of Cancer Registries (UKACR)